Modification of Antennas - FCC Regulatory Domain

Answered Question
Apr 23rd, 2008

Hi guys and gals,

Can anyone answer or point me in the right direction in regards of modifying antennas? I'm pretty sure it's not allowed but can't find a definitive answer on the FCC website. The main question is:- if I've got a 2.4GHz antenna that's got a BNC connector (push and twist) on it for a Symbol Access Point can you cut off the BNC connector and crimp an RP-TNC (screw-on) connector in its place (or craft a BNC to RP-TNC converter)??

As stated, I don't think it's totally legal to do that but would like to have 'official' confirmation before the RF Police pay a visit!

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 8 years 9 months ago

Yes you can.... as long as you don't go past the maximum transmit power per antenna gain. I have had antenna cables cut and crimped to a connector I can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/prod_white_paper0900aecd801c4a88_ps4555_Products_White_Paper.html

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
whitelp Thu, 04/24/2008 - 02:49

Thank you sir, I now consider myself 'hedumacated' on the subject of antenna mods!

Regards, PW

Sushil Kumar Katre Wed, 04/23/2008 - 21:43

You can absolutely use this antenna by cutting the connector or getting a convertor.

Please make sure that the gain is less than or equal to what is certified to use on the AP.

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode