Views
Helpful
Replies

Modification of Antennas - FCC Regulatory Domain

whitelp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys and gals,

Can anyone answer or point me in the right direction in regards of modifying antennas? I'm pretty sure it's not allowed but can't find a definitive answer on the FCC website. The main question is:- if I've got a 2.4GHz antenna that's got a BNC connector (push and twist) on it for a Symbol Access Point can you cut off the BNC connector and crimp an RP-TNC (screw-on) connector in its place (or craft a BNC to RP-TNC converter)??

As stated, I don't think it's totally legal to do that but would like to have 'official' confirmation before the RF Police pay a visit!

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can.... as long as you don't go past the maximum transmit power per antenna gain. I have had antenna cables cut and crimped to a connector I can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/prod_white_paper0900aecd801c4a88_ps4555_Products_White_Paper.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can.... as long as you don't go past the maximum transmit power per antenna gain. I have had antenna cables cut and crimped to a connector I can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/prod_white_paper0900aecd801c4a88_ps4555_Products_White_Paper.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you sir, I now consider myself 'hedumacated' on the subject of antenna mods!

Regards, PW

You can absolutely use this antenna by cutting the connector or getting a convertor.

Please make sure that the gain is less than or equal to what is certified to use on the AP.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card