Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP and SNMPTRAP over the Internet

pannu3679
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my SNMP probe server and SNMP host. I want to manage my client routers over the Internet so I can get all SNMPTRAPS on my company's SNMP Probe server.

At present I have configured my company's public IP address on my client router with community string and also configured inbound and outbound access-list to allow and send traffic for particular external UDP host but still I can't see any SNMP TRAPS on my company's PROBE server.

The following commant , I have configured on my client router :

snmp-server host 203.X.X.X abcd

All traps are enabled so dont worry about traps .... If I am missing anything to configure , please let me know.

If you guys have any idea, please let me know ASAP...

3 Replies 3

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The traps could be getting dropped somewhere along the path.

Enable some snmp debugs to make sure the router is actually sending traps...then following the steps along the way. If you don't manage all steps along the way it could be dropped at one of these points.

You're config looks fine from what you have posted.

You mean that I need to enable SNMP debug on the router and check all debug output...

Thanks for your help and will get back to you if I wont get positively..

Thanks.

Hi Mate,

I have tried to debug on the router but I can't see any traffic on snmp with my host IP address which is 203.x.x.x. I can't see any graph on my OPS manager too. What would be the reason? Any idea..

Sorry, I forgot to mentioned your before that I am using OpManager to get my router usage graph. I have written ACL on my clients router so I can ping to that device interface but for some reason I am not getting snmp trap message on my OpManager.

Your quick response will be much more appreciated.

THanks.