Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs on different VTP

jones_mj14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

is it possible to have one VLAN spread across two different VTP domains?

I have inherited a network, that has two buildings very close to each other and rather than keeping them in the same VTP domain (they are connected by dark fibre)they have decided to create two diffent VTP Domains. There is a requirement to have our Firewalls in each buildings but they need to be on the same network for the Heartbeat to work correctly. So to sum up! can i create a single vlan, ie VLAN 900, with a network of 10.0.10.x /24, and use a HSRP address of 10.0.10.1 /24. Each with their own interface.

I assume that this is possible and as long as i create the VLAN in the VLAN Database on each switch, i can create this vlan just as i need to

thanks in advance for the help

1 Reply 1

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Yes this is possible to do.

Either you can connect the switches by interface configured for "switchport access" then the connection is done over the vlan applied to the port.

Or, a better way to do it is, configure the intrface to trunk mode. Be sure to use "switchport trunk allowed vlan 900" to allow only vlan 900. If you later want to have other vlan:s connected through the trunk use "switchport trunk allowed vlan add "

/Mikael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card