Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor network traffic via SNMP

carl.wertz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to gather network traffic using SNMP. The data I am really interested in is bits per second, the show interface summary command. I have figured out how to get ifIn/OutOctet using SNMP however I really want bits per second. Anyone have any ideas on what if I can use?

3 Replies 3

t814687
Level 1
Level 1

have you tried MRTG tool? I think it can show performance stats the way you want it.

OK. Is this tool part of a suite? I am on a system where I dont have much play with it. I am looking to use a snmpwalk against a MIB. Any information on that?

well, snmpwalk is not the best tool. for mrtg you need perl. google MRTG and you will see what it can do.

Otherwise look at this OUI:

locIfOutBitsSec

Provides a weighted 5-minute exponentially decaying average of interface output bits per second for the specific protocol.

Syntax: Integer

Access: Read-only

and this:

locIfInBitsSec

Provides a weighted 5-minute exponentially decaying average of interface input bits per second.

Syntax: Integer

Access: Read-only

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: