CCIE R/S BGP blueprint question

Unanswered Question
Apr 24th, 2008

The blueprint for R&S shows only four items to know for BGP:

1.Protocol on which BGP peers communicate.

2.Next hop.

4.Troubleshooting of BGP route that will not install in the routing table.

This seems very very slim. What about details of path attributes, route reflectors, authentication, iBGP, etc.

Can I assume that these topics are not going to be presented? BGP is such a huge topic I feel like I could spend months prepping just for all those topics, when I'd rather be spending quality time on other areas of the blueprint.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Thu, 04/24/2008 - 12:56

No one who has taken the exam can tell you what is / is not on the exam due to the NDA that you must agree to prior to taking the exam. However, let me point out a couple things which may help you.

First, there are a several books that deal with BGP at depth on the recommended reading list. Here are two specifically about BGP.

Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture

Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook

Also, note that the online resources point to the entire routing configuration guide on Cisco(which includes nearly all BGP features):

Finally, also notice this disclaimer at the top of the written blueprint:

The topic areas listed are general guidelines for the type of content that is likely to appear on the exam. Please note, however, that other relevant or related topic areas may also appear.

I apologize that I cannot give you a more specific answer to your question. I hope that the information above helps, though. Notice that BGP also appears on the lab blueprint. It might be worthwhile to do your studying on those topics now to save you lab time later.

ncasey777 Thu, 04/24/2008 - 13:57

Thanks. I appreciate the info. That's what I was somewhat expecting...not taking the blueprint as the only info.

Each topic could really be thoroughly tested on its own as its own test, so that makes it difficult to feel like you've ever really covered every aspect of each.

paul.matthews Thu, 05/15/2008 - 00:13

Bear in mind that particularly No4 on the list can be deptively large. Why might a route not install? maybe it is an iBGP route and you don't have route reflectors? Some problem with synchronisation? Some issue with attributes?

One of the things at CCIE level exams is that they try not to give too much away, and will try to ask about somthing without directly asking if you see what I mean.

This Discussion