Router 2851

5 Switches Express 520

VLAN 1. 192.168.72.X (Native)

VLAN 100. 192.168.100.X (Voice)

VLAN 200. 192.168.200.X (Data)

I set WLC with this IP addresses

management 192.168.72.21

ap-manager 192.168.72.22

If I set both interfaces to VLAN 1, I was able by some moments to get http access to the WLC from the network, but one AP on tests was unable to join with the controller (I saw messages indicating LWAPP was receiving requests through unsoported VLAN 0)

If I set both interfaces as untagged (I understand it means VLAN 0) the AP was able to join, but I can't get access to the WLC from the network.

Another history is with APs, I have two 1242 connected through switches, they get IP address by DHCP from the router and eventually they are registered with the WLC, while another AP attached directly to WLC never get IP address and obviously never is registered.

I can't ping any device (router, switches) from the WLC, also any device can ping continuosly to the WLC (I just get some few answers -somebody told me that for the WLC it is normal behavior for security reasons-)

Can somebody give me some tips to identify what Iam doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vlan 1 in a switch environment is untagged, to on the WLC management and ap-manager, the vlan should be set to '0'.... this means that there will be no tagging.... not vlan '0'. What you did wrong here is on the switch, native vlan is 1 unless specified different. Also native vlan is not tagged unless you specify that all vlans will be tagged. So when you configured the wlc management interface to vlan 1, it is looking for a vlan tag of 1 in which you get the error you were seeing.

I never liked connecting the ap to the wlc.... connect it to a switch and be done with that issues.

You should be able to ping, check again the subnet mask and the gateway configured on the wlc management and ap-manager interface. It is normal behavior not to be able to ping any dynamic interfaces on the wlc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card