Dialing an Agent ID or Skill Group.

Answered Question
Apr 25th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi,

Why can't I dial an Agent ID or Skill Group? Please Help.

Thank You,

-Bhaskar

Correct Answer by Riccardo Bua about 8 years 11 months ago

Hi Bhaskar,

it has all to do on how the CTI solution aligns with the underlying telephony system.

The IPCC associations basically means that the CTI solutions monitors the device/line status and could acquire control on it, it doesn't imply there is some specific linkage that could be invoked from a CTI interface prospective, this is though an interesting topic, that I will followup for future releases if suitable.

In most of the PBX scenarios you had a PBX first and then a CTI solution built on top of it, once the CTI application registers with the PABX it will poll the PBX system and "control and do whatever it wants" with the PABX devices, basically using the PABX services.

We had already two working systems when we integrated between the ICM and the Call Manager didn't built one solution on top of the other and we can do what you are mentioning but by different methods based on how the solutions were merged:

1) From the ICM side via scripting using the agent to agent transfer node, the queue to skillgroup node etc.

2) From the CTI side, with DB dips retrieving the extensions for the agents or in the event of the skillgroup providing a route point number that will trigger an ICM script pointing to a queue to skillgroup node.

You could not route directly to a skillgroup as the SG is an ICM abstraction concept that is not replicated in the Call Manager Telephony system.

Regards,

Riccardo

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Riccardo Bua Fri, 04/25/2008 - 00:18
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Bhaskar,

would you please clarify what you are after?

I suspect you need to do a Database dip to get the extension associated with the skillgroupID or agentID, they are usually not the same, but sorted based on the creation order.

Regards,

Riccardo

bhaskar27in Fri, 04/25/2008 - 00:28
User Badges:

Hi Riccardo,

I have two agent softphones logged in with agent ID's say, 1190 and 1191, to the extensions 1150 and 1151. When the agent 1190 dials 1151, the call is received by the agent 1191, he answers the call etc.

But when an agent 1190 intends to dial an agent 1191, the call doesn't get through.

Also when I intend to transfer the call back to the queue, logically, I should be able to dial the Skillgroup so that I can transfer the call. But, I can't seem to do that.

When an agent logs in, I can see from the events, the Skill group/Queue numbers to which the agent is associated with. But, dialing those numbers doesn't help.

This is in contrast to the other PBX's where I can dial an Agent or a Skillgroup/Queue or both.

I would like to know, why I can't do this with IPCC.

Thank You,

-Bhaskar

Riccardo Bua Fri, 04/25/2008 - 00:34
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Bhaskar,

it seems you answered yourself here, those numbers do not match, within your CTI application, most likely via an ODBC connection to the DB or an application gateway, you need to retrieve the extension number associated with the agentid and dial the extension instead of the agent or skillgroup id, this is a common task done via CTI customisation.

To further clarify this it is not generally available as a unique number per se as the extensions are created on the telephony system(Call Manager) in your case and associated in a separate system(ICM), I hope this answers it.

Regards,

Riccardo

bhaskar27in Fri, 04/25/2008 - 00:42
User Badges:

Riccardo,

Your reply arises another question here. When an agent logs into the extension, there is an association created between the extension and the agent. No other agent will be allowed to log in to that same extension.

Now, when I am dialing an agent, the call has to go through to the extension in which he is looged in. This happens on other PBX's such as Avaya or Ericsson to name a few.

And about the Skillgroup; Why can't an agent dial a Skillgroup?

I am just trying to understand the concept here.

Thank you,

-Bhaskar

Correct Answer
Riccardo Bua Fri, 04/25/2008 - 01:04
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Bhaskar,

it has all to do on how the CTI solution aligns with the underlying telephony system.

The IPCC associations basically means that the CTI solutions monitors the device/line status and could acquire control on it, it doesn't imply there is some specific linkage that could be invoked from a CTI interface prospective, this is though an interesting topic, that I will followup for future releases if suitable.

In most of the PBX scenarios you had a PBX first and then a CTI solution built on top of it, once the CTI application registers with the PABX it will poll the PBX system and "control and do whatever it wants" with the PABX devices, basically using the PABX services.

We had already two working systems when we integrated between the ICM and the Call Manager didn't built one solution on top of the other and we can do what you are mentioning but by different methods based on how the solutions were merged:

1) From the ICM side via scripting using the agent to agent transfer node, the queue to skillgroup node etc.

2) From the CTI side, with DB dips retrieving the extensions for the agents or in the event of the skillgroup providing a route point number that will trigger an ICM script pointing to a queue to skillgroup node.

You could not route directly to a skillgroup as the SG is an ICM abstraction concept that is not replicated in the Call Manager Telephony system.

Regards,

Riccardo

bhaskar27in Fri, 04/25/2008 - 01:10
User Badges:

Thanks for your help Riccardo. O appreciate it. Is there a document on the usage of DB Dips and what that is? Can you kindly post back the link to the doc?

Thanks Again.

-Bhaskar.

Riccardo Bua Fri, 04/25/2008 - 01:49
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Bhaskar,

I checked the docs and it looks like there is not an available sample on this, I looked if I have in my mails a sample code as well, but nothing handy.

I would truly recommend you to get a Dev Support subscription for further assistance on this and similar topic.

As you would understand I am limited in the support I could provide on a public forum on a customisation topic.

Regards,

Riccardo

Actions

This Discussion