cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 over multipoint Frame Relay

maryodriscoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a simulated IP FrameRelay lab at home. When using IPV4, I can ping from Site a to Site b and vice versa. As soon as I change to IPV6, I cannot. My lab is built using Multipoint Frame Relay. I have statically mapped the L3 IPV6 address of each end to the DLCI, the pvc's are active, frame-relay map command output says it is up but when I try to ping I am getting no reply. I have 2600 in the middle acting as a Frame-Relay switch but it is just running IOS 12.0(11), the other 2 routers are running 12.4T. Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mary,

The link local addresses are significant across a link, but nowhere else. If you like, they are for use between a pair of routers. Link-local addresses are always host addresses, i.e. /128.

Being link-local, you can use the same address on several different links. In fact, if you try to ping the link-local address of a partner, say from R1 to fe80::2, the router will come back and say "OK, but on which interface?"

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Could you post the configs please?

When I do one of those labs, I usually start out by giving the ends some user-friendly link-local addresses. I use the link-local addresses for broadcasts, and the site-locals for unicast:

R1:

interface S0/0.12

ipv6 address fe80::1 link-local

ipv6 address fec0:12::1/64

encapsulation frame-relay

frame map ipv6 fe80::2 102 broadcast

frame map ipv6 fec0:12::2 102

Similarly on the other router with the 1 and 2 reversed in the addresses and DLCI. That is usually enough (unless I forgot something).

Can we see your configs?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Mary,

I agree with Kevin:

You should use the ipv6 link-local address of the NEIGHBOR router in the frame-relay map command so the neighbor relationship can be built between the routers.

If you did not configure your link-local address manually, you can check the automatically configured ones using the "show ipv6 interface brief" command.

You can then apply the shown link-local address to the frame-relay map command of the NEIGHBOR router.

(The frame-relay map command of the neighbor router should point to the link-local address of this router).

Cheers:

Istvan

Thanks Gentlemen,I got it working in the end - for some reason, it just took that bit longer for it to work for some reason, I am going to try it again tonight though with link-local.However, I thought Link-local was only for use within the local router and could not be used across the WAN ?

Mary

Mary,

The link local addresses are significant across a link, but nowhere else. If you like, they are for use between a pair of routers. Link-local addresses are always host addresses, i.e. /128.

Being link-local, you can use the same address on several different links. In fact, if you try to ping the link-local address of a partner, say from R1 to fe80::2, the router will come back and say "OK, but on which interface?"

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card