cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 over multipoint Frame Relay

maryodriscoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a simulated IP FrameRelay lab at home. When using IPV4, I can ping from Site a to Site b and vice versa. As soon as I change to IPV6, I cannot. My lab is built using Multipoint Frame Relay. I have statically mapped the L3 IPV6 address of each end to the DLCI, the pvc's are active, frame-relay map command output says it is up but when I try to ping I am getting no reply. I have 2600 in the middle acting as a Frame-Relay switch but it is just running IOS 12.0(11), the other 2 routers are running 12.4T. Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mary,

The link local addresses are significant across a link, but nowhere else. If you like, they are for use between a pair of routers. Link-local addresses are always host addresses, i.e. /128.

Being link-local, you can use the same address on several different links. In fact, if you try to ping the link-local address of a partner, say from R1 to fe80::2, the router will come back and say "OK, but on which interface?"

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Could you post the configs please?

When I do one of those labs, I usually start out by giving the ends some user-friendly link-local addresses. I use the link-local addresses for broadcasts, and the site-locals for unicast:

R1:

interface S0/0.12

ipv6 address fe80::1 link-local

ipv6 address fec0:12::1/64

encapsulation frame-relay

frame map ipv6 fe80::2 102 broadcast

frame map ipv6 fec0:12::2 102

Similarly on the other router with the 1 and 2 reversed in the addresses and DLCI. That is usually enough (unless I forgot something).

Can we see your configs?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Mary,

I agree with Kevin:

You should use the ipv6 link-local address of the NEIGHBOR router in the frame-relay map command so the neighbor relationship can be built between the routers.

If you did not configure your link-local address manually, you can check the automatically configured ones using the "show ipv6 interface brief" command.

You can then apply the shown link-local address to the frame-relay map command of the NEIGHBOR router.

(The frame-relay map command of the neighbor router should point to the link-local address of this router).

Cheers:

Istvan

Thanks Gentlemen,I got it working in the end - for some reason, it just took that bit longer for it to work for some reason, I am going to try it again tonight though with link-local.However, I thought Link-local was only for use within the local router and could not be used across the WAN ?

Mary

Mary,

The link local addresses are significant across a link, but nowhere else. If you like, they are for use between a pair of routers. Link-local addresses are always host addresses, i.e. /128.

Being link-local, you can use the same address on several different links. In fact, if you try to ping the link-local address of a partner, say from R1 to fe80::2, the router will come back and say "OK, but on which interface?"

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card