cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM High broadcast alerts

niro
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently set up DFM to alert me on interface utilization problems. One annoying alert I've been getting is a high broadcast rate. Does DFM consider multicast traffic broadcasts? I keep getting high broadcast rates on our L3 etherchannel interfaces interconnecting our switches...but we use multicast very heavily so it's expected. I ran a sniffer just incase and saw that most of the traffic is multicast (and very very little is actually broadcast, which is what I'd expect on a L3 connection)...is there any way to have it distinguish multicasts from broadcasts? I would obviously like to know when there is too much broadcasting going on, but I don't need to get alerted every time multicast traffic goes over a certain threshold.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM uses if{In,Out}NUcastPkts to obtain the "broadcast" traffic rate. As you pointed out, this object also counts multicast packets. The only workaround for this problem is to increase the threshold, or create an event set which excludes this event.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM uses if{In,Out}NUcastPkts to obtain the "broadcast" traffic rate. As you pointed out, this object also counts multicast packets. The only workaround for this problem is to increase the threshold, or create an event set which excludes this event.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: