Helpful
Replies

What router should I deploy

sondauruguay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Please guide me in buying router for my branches,

- the branches are conect point to point, speed 512K, I need two voice channel (VoIP), QoS.

-More than 30 users will be there in my each branch office.

Regards

9 Replies 9

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

*Just* based on what you've told us, two things:

1. Depending on the applications (i.e., Citrix vs. non, file transfers, etc.) 512K doesn't sound big enough for 30 users. If they're ONLY using Citrix or SAP or something, maybe 512K will work.

2. My first suggestion is to look at a 2811, again, depending on how the 512K is delivered, etc.

Paul

Hi ptrivino,

The applications are: RDP (termianl services), file transfers, smtp; but the priorty is RDP.

2801 should be a option? is the smaller?

Thanks

Here's a thread I found on RDP bandwidth requirements - http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=90&threadID=68787&tstart=0 - which is good, I never knew myself.

So, if you can set it down to 26K, times 30, is 780K. If everyone is on at the same time, you're already 50% oversubscribed.

And sure, a 2801 is fine too, just depends on how much interface expandability you want.

Paul

Paul,

I've between 12 and 18(20 max) RDP connection, but for the channel also pass a SMTP, file transfers, etc. I want to give priority a RDP traffic and VoIP (two channel for now).

You think that the model 2801 can do it?

Thanks again

I am very confident that the 2801 can handle that workload. My only concern is the BW available - 18 RDP sessions still eats most of your 512K. Figure VoIP bandwidth for 2 calls at G.729 is still *around* 50-100K (depending on what type of WAN ckt), it's a tight squeeze.

But if 512K is what they gave you, just be prepared to monitor the BW usage closely.

Ok, and which would be the IOS for the 2801? for meet with characteristics

Thanks

IP Voice should be fine i guess.

you know if this IOS meet with the characteristics of traffic (priority RDP and voice) that I wrote in the previous message?

Thanks

Hi,

Go for a 2801 router.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card