cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity WIn2003 OS disk

rvincent
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to rebuild a unity 5.0 system using WinOS2003. CIsco does not have a PCD for the MCS model customer has. THey said to use the Cisco WIN2003 operating system disk that was provided in the PCD 2-box set.

When trying to do the OS install, the wizard is asking for the Microsoft Product key. This was not provided not does Cisco TAC have it. I'm being bounced between Cisco licensing, support & tac.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it resolved?

thanks

Rob

8 Replies 8

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rob -

Not sure if this will help or not, but here goes ... Here is an alternative method if the MCS server is an HP model and you have an existing Microsoft Premier Support agreement:

1. Use an HP SmartStart bootable CD to rebuild the server from the ground up, including the RAID logical drives and select the Microsoft Windows 2003 OS

2. When prompted in the SmartStart setup, mount your Microsoft Windows 2003 Server CD and complete the install. Your Premier support or similar contract should allow you to use the Windows 2003 server product key on the back of the CD.

You can tell if you have an HP server by the product number when you purchased the MCS server, i.e. MCS-7845H or 7835H, instead of I (which is IBM), the models I mentioned are HP DL-380 servers, very nice. If you have any other HP branded servers in your data center, each HP server comes with the SmartStart CDs.

Regards, Ginger

Ginger

thanks.

we ended up using customer OS CD for the rebuild.

Another question - we unpowered one of the two internal disks before the rebuild, to provide us with a failback position. So the OS was installed on one drive. Now that the rebuid is complete, we tried to add back the second drive and were unable to change it from raid 0 to raid 1. Consultant wanted to change disks brom basic to dynamic in order to use the software-based mirroring option.

Cisco TAC says its not supported.

Is there any way to get back to mirrored drives or am I stuck?

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob -

For your review, here is a post I found on HP - http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1209512655066+28353475&threadId=884662

I don't have personal experience with this, only rebuilding from the ground up or re-partitioning drives with a product like Partition Magic. I wouldn't attempt this unless I had communicated with TAC and had their full support (and run a Unity DiRT backup in case you need to recover). I don't think Cisco supports software based RAID on Unity servers.

Ginger

Ginger

thanks for the info.

yes, software raid is not supported according to tac.

Rob

not sure if they gave you the doc on that but here it is:

Do this section only if the system is using hardware-based RAID. (Software-based RAID is not supported.)

Installing the Operating System

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/installation/guide/umexnofo/5xcuigumenofo040.html

the above guide contains all the procedures, did you went thru it before doing the actual process??

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob/Ginger,

Bail me out with my IBM server pleeeeeaassseee:

Customers IBM MCS 7835 is failing the PCD 2.2.0.2 with "upgrade or downgrade the BIOS...etc".

Promise not to buy anymore IBM servers.

Begging

Rich

Hi Rich -

I saw your note around 3:00 PM today. Hope by this time you got a fix!! I do not have experience with IBM servers, nor have I ever used the platform configuration disks to build a Unity server. I did some checking on Cisco and found, for example, that CUCM installs look for a specific BIOS level, I'm thinking the PCD is doing the same. But if you haven't already, I would contact TAC. Maybe there is a way to work with IBM to reset the server bios so that the PCD version 2.2.0.2 will then recognize the server? Sorry wasn't any help!

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for reply. Tried TAC-they're currently 'looking into it' (for last 3 days!).

Still got problem if anyone can suggest anything????

Help!

Rich

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: