cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems pinging a wireless device from the wired LAN

robdawg01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem pinging a wireless device from my wired lan PC. I have a 1841 router with a hwic-ap. The wired lan connects via an unmanaged switch to one of the fastethernet ports on the router and the second fastethernet port connects to a cable modem. I can ping wireless devices from any wireless device. I can also ping wired lan devices from wireless devices, but I cannot ping all wireless devices from my lan pc. One of the wireless devices that I cannot ping is an ethernet converter that has other wired devices connected to it. These devices have no problems with accessing other lan devices or the internet. Why cant I ping the ethernet converter from my wired lan but have no problem pinging a pc on my wireless lan?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the wired and wireless on different subnets? If so, check the Ethernet converter's default gateway setting. Can you ping the Ethernet converter from the wired lan? It can be an issue with the unmanaged switch and arp. if you reboot the unmanaged switch are you able to ping and then after a while you can't?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for responding,

The wired lan is on 10.10.1.0 subnet and the wireless lan is on the 10.1.3.0 subnet. I can not ping the wirelss converter from the wired lan. I can ping the converter from the router. Also the ethernet converter does not allow me to configure a default gateway. I can hard code the IP address or use dhcp.

I had the same phenomenon with a DLink wireless converter: I could ping the converter from its wired side, but through the wireless lan i couldn't ping/manage it. It seemed like the converter was transparent from the wireless lan, but it worked well otherwise.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card