cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DS3 point to point configured as Frame Relay?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a DS3 circuit and according to Verizon is a straight point-to-point.

The circuit is configured on the routers as frame-relay with 4 PVCs.

The routers also have "frame-relay switching" configured.

Is it possible to configure the router with PVCs this way by using "frame-relay switching" or does this have nothing to do with anything and the provider has actually provisioned frame-relay and not a point-to-point?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

Straight point to point is not mutually exclusive with Frame Relay. It is quite possible to have a point to point circuit configured with Frame Relay encapsulation. I recently configured a pair of DS3s for a client (who is also a customer of Verizon) and Verizon wanted them configured with Frame Relay encapsulation. It works fine.

It is pretty unusual to have the router configured with Frame Relay switching, especially for a customer router in a live network (and more especially if it is a point to point connection).

And 4 PVCs on the router does not sound right if it is a point to point. It does not matter so much if extra PVCs are configured on the router. It matters how many of them are actually advertised to you through LMI from the provider. What if anything is the router trying to do with the PVCs?

I would suggest that you check and find out how many PVCs are actually active. Hopefully the answer is 1. Then I would remove the PVCs that are not active. And I would remove the Frame Relay switching.

Having said all that, it might also be interesting - and perhaps useful - if you would post the configuration of the router so that we can see what the router is trying to do and whether there may be some use for these things that is not apparent in your description of it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick,

The PVCs are all up and active, one is a routed subnet to the DR isde and the other three are Bridged subnets to the DR side.

This post has some configs of the two ends:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf;jsessionid=E300A7EE5E4C807CF1B01AB23B834D77.SJ1B?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&topicID=.ee71a06&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26lo...

Richard

I have looked at those configs and have posted a response in that thread about some of the questions that you raise.

I believe that this is a very creative solution which allows a single point to point circuit to carry several different types of traffic which need to be separated and to act like several point to point links.

It is difficult to tell from the configs whether this is provisioned by Verizon as Frame Relay and they are doing Frame Relay switching to provide the end to end connectivity or whether the frame relay switching configured on the HQ router is doing it. The fact that the DLCIs do not match end to end on bridge groups 2 and 3 seems to suggest that Verizon is frame relay switching.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: