IPCC Express Upgrade from 4.05SR1 to 4.05SR2

Unanswered Question
Apr 25th, 2008
User Badges:

When we installed IPCC Express 4.05 SR1 9 months ago, we installed the Cisco Agent Desktop clients with a Windows network credential that had local admin priviledges on the PC.

Now that we are in a production environment - our 200 CAD agents do not log in with an account with local admin priviledges.

My question is - after I install SR2 this weekend - when our agents log in on Monday morning with their respective standard network credentials that are not local admins - will the CAD update pushed from the upgraded IPCC servers successfully install ?

TAC is suggesting that I have to walk around to 200 PCs and log them in with a local admin credential. What would the benefit of the CAD push be!!!!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mmelbourne Sat, 04/26/2008 - 10:10
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

You could consider temporarily making your users a member of a group which does have local admin privileges. I am of the opinion that any auto-update of CAD needs to be managed, as the auto-update runs an Installshield patch update (well SR1 did) which agents may not be expecting and will take some time to complete for a large number of machines (in the meantime agents cannot take calls). I did try applying the SR1 update as a Power User (rather than a local admin) and it appeared to work, although it is probably not TAC-supported.

Also, for auto-updates to work correctly, IE must be configured to check for newer version of stored pages on 'Every visit to the page" (Tools -> Internet Options -> General tab -> Settings).

Please rate helpful posts.

asafayan Sat, 04/26/2008 - 11:45
User Badges:

Thank you very much for that clarification.

I've had 3 different TAC engineers attempt to address this issue and NONE of them could explain the correlation between IE and the CAD client. They just kept mentioning of vague issues with certain versions of IE and I never understood the relationship between the two apps.

I installed SR2 this morning and logged into various CAD agents with both local admin and a standard (restricted) user account.

1. In the first scenario, I logged in with a local admin credential and installed the SR2 CAD without issue.

2. In the case of the credential without local admin privs, I received another prompt stating that I don't have the required permissions and gave me a yes/no option. I clicked yes and it installed and did not error out. The client was able to log in, go ready and take calls.

I had 3 different TAC cases open and got 3 different versions of what will happen when I attempt to install the SR2 CAD via the server push where the target clients were logged in without local admin privileges.

I got 3 different answers as to what would happen if I update the servers to SR2 and didn't upgrade the CAD agents to SR2 and left them on SR1.

What is up with Cisco TAC and their understanding of this process??????

Jonathan Schulenberg Sun, 04/27/2008 - 07:05
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

I feel sorry for TAC when they get stuck supporting applications Cisco doesn't control or write. In the case of the CAD/CSD/CDA software, this is OEMed from Calabrio. As such, TAC is at the mercy of whatever documentation Calabrio feels like sharing and probably has a harder time reaching the product development team.

The CDA update process is a univeral pain to everyone and the full story is hard to come by.

Actions

This Discussion