cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"debug ip packet" help

zhenxu_zj
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulties using "debug ip packet" to capture routed traffic. Does "debug ip packet" capture locally generated/processed traffic only or it captures CEF routed traffic as well? What is the proper command to capture pass through traffic (say input ethernet 0 and output serial 0 without NAT)?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't hold me to this, but recall a discussion within these forums that might have mentioned interface route-cache needs to be off to see packets within debug; don't recall mention about CEF.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Have you tried using "debug ip packet detail"?

Please read the following link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/debug/command/reference/dbg_i2g.html#wp1063005

Mark

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't hold me to this, but recall a discussion within these forums that might have mentioned interface route-cache needs to be off to see packets within debug; don't recall mention about CEF.

zhenxu_zj
Level 1
Level 1

With "detail" or not does not make any difference. The traffic does not show up at all. I think "ip cache" maybe on the right track. I will try and update everyone.

Thanks for the hint.

"no ip route-cache" is the resolve. Thanks for the great hint.

Per Cisco:

Before using debugging ip packet, note that the router is doing fast-switching by default, or may be doing CEF switching if configured to do so. This means that, once those techniques are in place, the packet is not provided to the processor, hence the debugging does not show anything. For this to work, you need to disable fast-switching on the router with no ip route-cache (for unicast packets) or no ip mroute-cache (for multicast packets). This should be applied on the interfaces where the traffic is supposed to flow. Verify this with the show ip route command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk379/technologies_tech_note09186a008017874c.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: