Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring BGP using SNMP

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

We have BGP enabled on our networks with SNMP enabled to trigger alerts in case of link up/ downs. What we observe is when BGP session goes Active (but interface is up), we do not get any alert from SNMP saying BGP status has changed. The SNMP configuration is as below. Would appreciate if you can let me know if there is anything missing or something required to the config to monitor BGP state changes. Thanks in advance.

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps isdn call-information

snmp-server enable traps bgp

snmp-server enable traps config

snmp-server enable traps frame-relay multilink bundle-mismatch

snmp-server enable traps frame-relay

snmp-server enable traps frame-relay subif

snmp-server enable traps hsrp

snmp-server enable traps syslog

Best Regards,

Manoj

4 Replies 4

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Manoj

Your config looks fine, so what I can think of now is MIB not loaded in you monitoring platform.

howver I cannot see if you are actually sending your traps tou your platform "snmp-server host x.x.x.x"

1-When BGP is active, do you actually see it in router log ?

2-if traps is not sent or received a poll should show you have lost BGP.

3- of all above fails, you could try enabling informs instead of traps.

HTH

Sam

Hi Sam,

We are using HPOV & Concord for monitoring. SNMP Host is already defined and we are getting the normal link up/ down alerts. However, I would like to know if there is any way in which BGP state changes can be tracked. I checked in the router logs and dont find any logs if BGP flaps/ goes down even though level 7 logging has been enabled for buffer (logging buffered 16384 debugging). Can you please let me know how informs would help? In case you have any document that explains this, please do share. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Manoj

informs are more reliable than traps. but if you are not seeing logs in router itself then informs wont help as the issue is the router.

configure "bgp log-neighbor-changes" under bgp process this will solve ur issue.

HTH

Sam

Hi Manoj

I am curious to know if missing config was the issue ?

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card