BGP Scanner %SYS-2-CHUNKBADMAGIC Error

Unanswered Question
Apr 27th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi all,

One of my router prompt out below message in every minute. Anyone faced it before and any solution.

Apr 28 10:03:44: %SYS-2-CHUNKBADMAGIC: Bad magic number in chunk header, chunk 0 data 61D28528 chunkmagic D0D0D0D chunk_freemagic D0D0D0D

-Process= "BGP Scanner", ipl= 0, pid= 229

-Traceback= 40FF07A0 402C8E74 402C98E0

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
guruprasadr Sun, 04/27/2008 - 19:48
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

HI, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

The recommeded action as per "Error Message Decoder Tool" of CISCO:

1. %SYS-2-CHUNKBADMAGIC: Bad magic number in chunk header, chunk [hex] data [hex] chunkmagic [hex] chunk_freemagic [hex]

A software error has occurred.

Recommended Action: Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Sushil Kumar Katre Sun, 04/27/2008 - 20:27
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi,

The error above usually indicates an inconsistency was detected while the chunk memory pool was being managed. It is likely that this is a software error, but there could be a hardware memory problem.When the router is facing a memory leak, and when running out ofmemory, it starts displaying the error message above. Paste the show processes memory command output to the Output Interpreter to analyze any memory relatedissues. As most of the issues with this error message is due to Cisco image bug.Verify the Bug Toolkit to identify the potential bugs. The common bugs, for example,CSCeg78036 which is fixed in 12.4(1.4), CSCef06389, which is fixed in 12.3(09.11)T.If you are hitting any bugs upgrade the image to the latest version of the software.There is also a workaround to this problem, which is removing ip virtual-reassemblyfrom the interfaces.

If you can share the show tech output, I can tr figuring out few things.

Not sure if the issue would get resolved.

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion