Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E switch

drnteam
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I am setting a new site with 2 6509 switch and 2 3800 routers. I created Vlan 1 and vlan 51 on the switch. But only the Vlan 1 is showing active, the vlan 51 is showing down even though i added in eigrp. Please help.

9 Replies 9

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Have you connected any PC or laptop in Vlan 51 ? If not connect laptop in Vln 51 and check wether the Vlan 51 is coming up or not ?

Can you send us the config of switches.

Thanks,

Satish

Thanks Satish,

I connected a PC in VLAN 51 but it was not coming up. Basically i need the routing to be done on the switch. Please see the config.

Remove the "ip default-gateway..." setting from your 6500. This only used when the switch is acting as a Layer 2 switch only.

Make sure the port you have connected your PC into is up/up and configured as

int gi2/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 51

Jon

Hi ,

As stated by Jon , remove dafault-gateway from switch and connect PC in vlan 51 .

configure one of the port like

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 51.

If you face any issue , then first configure vlan's

config # vlan 51

config # vlan 52

Moreover after removing default-gateway from switch enable Ip routing.

config# ip routing

Thanks,

Satish

Hi,

I removed the ip-default gateway, but the ip-routing command is not taking in this switch.

You don't need to configure "ip routing" on the 6500 - it is on by default. Once you remove the "ip default-gateway..." the switch should route.

Jon

Hi ,

What is the status of Vlan 51 now ..assuming you have connected laptop in Vlan 51.

Can you send us show vlan output after connecting laptop.

If possible config of the port on which you are terminated the lapop .And status of the port.

Thnaks,

Satish

Thanks Satish,

The VLAN is up now. But let me clear once as soon as we remove the laptop VLAN 51 is going down.

Vlan 51 will only be up if

1) There is an active port in that vlan that is up/up

2) You have a trunk on the switch that includes vlan 51.

Other than that vlan 51 will be down.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card