Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1ag and Y.1731

ksriram29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

802.1ag defines and classifies MEP as 'Down MEP' and 'Up MEP' where as Y.1731 doesn't classify MEPs. How will be the implementation when a device supports both 802.1ag and Y.1731 standards? Can we assume the MEP in Y.1731 implementation always to be a 'Down MEP'?

Why have two different standard bodies defined separate standards for the same functionality ( CC, LT and LB)?

Thanks,

-Sriram K

2 Replies 2

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

mep-up -- Generates a trap when a new remote maintenance end point (MEP) has been discovered and learned by the device or when a change occurs in the port state of a previously discovered remote MEP.

mep-down -- Generates a trap when a device has lost connectivity with a remote MEP or when connectivity from a previously learned remote MEP is restored after interruption.

Thanks for your reply. I think I wasn't clear enough. By the terms "Up MEP" and "Down MEP", I meant the direction of the MEP and not the state. In cisco's terms Up MEP = Inward facing MEP(MAC Relay entity side transmission) and Down MEP = Outward facing MEP(wire side transmission).