cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restricting a server onto the WAN using QOS/Shaping

simplecisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4506 core which connects to a service provider provided WAN router which has an 4Mb interface.

We have an SMS server which on many occassions tries to talk to many hosts ont he network and hammers our WAN link the service provider drop the traffic that exceeds 4MB but this causes performance issues.

I would like to be able to police / shape this server so it only has say max 2MB ever onto the WAN.

Is this possible? Can I assign the server traffic into a certain queue on the 4506 and then shape / police it?

Any pointers woudl be appreciated.

Thanks

Roger

4 Replies 4

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

yes of course, u can use CBWFQ where the policy map match an ACL referring to traffic sourced from server.

below sample of top of my head.

HTH

Sam

class-map SMS

match access-group SERVER

!

policy-map LIMIT_SMS

class SMS

police 2000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

!

ip acess-List exteneded SERVER

permit ip host x.x.x.x any

!

I have to add, policy needs to be attached to interface to server INBOUND , or WAN link outbound.

I recommend INBOUD

!

interface GEa/b

service-policy in LIMIT_SMS

!

I have to be carefull here as I don't want to restrict traffic to this server on the LAN so Outbound on the WAN interface would be preferred - Why do you prefer inbound to the server port?

Roger

I simply prefer to deal with unwanted traffic before as early as possible. in your case you do not have that choice, so OUTBOUND is fine.

HTH

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card