Win Server 2008 and Unity

Unanswered Question
Apr 28th, 2008

Has anyone with Unity AD integrated, upgraded their existing 2k3 Active directory to Windows 2008 Active Directory native mode?

I'm running Unity 4.2.1 right now, there's a mandate due to an audit that we must implement certain polices before june 1st, most of which are only achievable thru AD 2008 native mode.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Ginger Dillon Tue, 04/29/2008 - 10:39

Hi -

We're no-where near this yet, but I wanted to advise you to contact TAC to see if this is supported - I couldn't find anything on about it. From experience, I can tell you - Unity does not function well if its domain catalog or global catalog server is not working. For example, when Windows 2003 Server SP1 first came out, Unity had problems communication with the GC server if this OS was installed. It required a permissions wizard update, I believe, to initially fix specific Unity versions. I would seriously test this in an Active Directory lab mock-up (all you need is 3 servers - one to run AD/GC with Windows 2008, another for Exchange (requires Exchange 2007 to run on Windows 2008) and a Unity server to validate functionality). Don't forget Exchange - per this post, you will need to at least be at Exchange 2003 SP2 - Lastly, if you are thinking about Exchange 2007, you'll need to upgrade Unity to 5.x.

ricky-li Tue, 04/29/2008 - 10:54

Thanks for the advice, I remember the pain when we migrated our AD to 2k3 server SP1. We're in the process of making our mock-up lab.

Well I'll report back in a few weeks let you know how it goes. I'll keep some notes, so that hopefully it will help when other people go thru this.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Unity 5 and exchange 2007. I didn't know that I had to go Unity 5 to make it work, which is very useful to know since the upgrade of our current exchange is slated for July/August.

This Discussion