cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks campus manager 3.3 Layer 2 view error

samantha.lk
Level 1
Level 1

I am using CISCOWORKS Campus Manager 3.3 and recently having a discovering issue with one device on the network.

when I go to campus manager-> topology services-> network views-> layer2 view and click on display view, one 6503 switch is not appearing on that. It was appearing previously and this happened after restarting the switch. But this switch is operational and didn't do any configuration changes on it.

I did following troubleshooting steps on the switch device.

1. Verified if CDP is enabled on the missing device.

2. Verified that it listed using the show cdp neighbor command on the neighboring device.

3. Verified that the remote IP address is correct in the neighbor device.

4. device is not listed in the Campus Manager -> Topology Services -> Network Views -> Unconnected Devices View.

Further some links between devices in the layer 2 view are also breaking in between and intermediately connecting to a horizontal line called "Ethernet 1000m"

Kindly help me to get this resolved.

25 Replies 25

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Devices can disappear from the topology map if they have the same sysName as another device on the map. Make sure that all sysNames/hostnames are unique on all your devices.

Bus links are created when there is inconsistent CDP topology. This could also be a symptom of duplicate sysNames or other CDP glitches.

Debugging these kinds of problems require one to enable core, corex, and topo debugging in Campus Manager, then run a new discovery.

Hi jclarke

Many thanks for helping on my issue.

* As you adviced I have searched in the entire topology map to check whether any duplicate device is existing same as missing switch, by sysname and IP address (using find on map option also). But I couldn't find any.

* And If you could explain bit more that how to enable core, corex, and topo debugging in Campus Manager to resolve bus links error, it would be a grate help for me.

* For your easy understand I have attached a L2 view of the map here with. on that Blue circle indicate the some area where bus link created. Red circle indicate where the missing switch was previously.

Thanks for helping once again.

Kindly provide me some instruction since still i'm strugling with above issue. Pls Jclarke or someone!

Searching the map isn't good enough. You need to go through each of your devices by hand. However, if you know you're using a unique hostname/domain name combination, you are safe.

Debugging is enabled under Server Configuration > Setup > ANI Server Admin > Debugging Options.

If you've verified that CDP is correct everywhere, this problem might be solved by simply shutting down dmgtd, then running:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/campus/bin/reinitdb.pl -restore

Then restart dmgtd, and run a new Campus Manager discovery.

Thanks once again for your post. As per your advice I went through each device in the map by hand and could't find the same name as the missing device. so still it is missing.

* And Please explain bit more about "dmgtd" restarting procedure like how to shutdown it and restart it. After that you have ask to run " NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/campus/bin/reinitdb.pl -restore" but I couldn't find that path and found

"D:\Programe files\CSCOpx\campus\bin\reinitdb.pl". is that correct?

* And please mention how to set parameters to deguging for missing device.

Many thanks for your help on this. Sory to keep bothering you.

Dmgtd can be stopped with the command:

net stop crmdmgtd

It can be started with:

net start crmdmgtd

NMSROOT is the path into which you installed CiscoWorks. It sounds like D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx should work for you.

Simply select the core, corex, and topo modules from the list of available debugging modules in the interface I mentioned earlier. Configure a log file into which the debugging output will be written. Then run a new Campus Discovery.

I should tell you that LMS 2.2 is very old. It is already end of life and end of engineering. It will be end of support at the end of June of this year. You should seriously consider upgrading to LMS 2.6 or 3.0.

I enabled debugging as per your advice and could collect some information after runinig a discovery. I could find the IP of the missing device in the output file But could't find any error kind of behaviour on it(May be lack of my knowlddge). So kindly let me know in which area I could find the information related to the missing device.

* Appreciate your advice for version upgrade. But still I couldn't verify the version of CISCOWORKS which I am running.it doesn't mention in any place. If you could tell me where to get the version info, it would be a greate help for me.

Hope you will get back to me.

many thanks.

You will need to post the entire log file, the address and hostname of the missing device as well as the configuration of that device. If this information is too sensitive to post on an open forum, then please open a TAC service request.

If you have Campus Manager 3.3, then you have LMS 2.2.

I feel it is bit sensitive to post in an open forum. But if you could provide me one of your e-mail ID, I can post them to you. Your assistance would be really appreciated.

Many thanks once again.

You'll either need to post the files here, or open a TAC services request with the same files.

Sory if I'm bothering you. I have uploaded them to bellow path

http://rapidshare.com/files/112903125/info.zip.html

Thanks for your prompt response.

I hope you have got the files. If there are any inconvenience, kindly let me know.

Waiting for your advice and many thanks for helping so far.

Hi jclarke

I feel you may having some dificulty on geting above uploaded files. So here i'm uploading them directly. kindly consider it and give me some advice to overcome this burning issue. Many thanks once again!

I see the device found as a CDP neighbor of other devices, but I do not see Campus trying to discover this device. Please post your ANIServer.properties and anisnmp.conf files.