Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog message trigger configuration archive

ananda_id
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From the documentation, I know that syslog message can trigger RME to fetch and archive new configuration version.

But when I change the configuration, the RME didn't fetch the new configuration.

I already set the logging server to RME and make sure the RME received the syslog message.

Can someone tell me where i possibly wrong?

Best Regards,

Ananda

7 Replies 7

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this IOS or CatOS? How are they configured: "logging trap [level]" for IOS, or "logging server severity #" for CatOS. The syslog messages RME keys on are SYS-6-CFG_CHG, CPU_REDUN-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG, and such. So you will have to make sure the routers/switches are actually sending "Info (level 6)" syslogs to the syslog server(s). The default CatOS logging level to syslog server(s) is "Notice (level 5)" if I'm not mistaken.

The devices are running IOS and it's already configured to send level 7 debugging to RME Server. Here is my configuration:

logging trap debugging

logging source-interface Loopback0

logging 10.10.10.10

Do you say level 6 message? RME only receive level 5 message %SYS-5-CONFIG_I.

I double check with the device buffer and it also only record level 5 message.

Thanks

Aight, IOS sends SYS-5-CONFIG_I instead. Now you want to double-check the Syslog Automated Action is there. Here's the out-of-the-box setup under RME/Tools/Syslog/Automated Actions on my box, which should react to SYS-5-CONFIG_I:

Automated Action Summary

Name: Config Fetch

Devices: *

State: Enabled

Action Type: Invoke Config Collection

Messages: *-*-*-RESTART:*, RESTART-*-*-*:*, SYS-*-5-ONLINE:*, *-*-*-CONFIG_I:*, SYS-*-5-RELOAD:*, CONFIG-*-*-*:*, *-*-*-CONFIG:*, OIR-*-6-INSCARD:*, Nodemgr-*-5-CE:*REBOOT*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-BOOTED_AS_ACTIVE:*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-SWITCHOVER:*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG :*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-RCSF_SYNCED:*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-STARTUP_CONFIG_CHG:*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-STARTUP_CONFIG_SYNCED:*, SNMP-*-5-COLDSTART:*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*telnet*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*Console*, *-*-*-OIR:*, PIX-*-5-111005:*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*SNMP*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*ssh*, SNMP-*-5-CONF:*, PORT-*-5-CONF:*, CHAS-*-5-CONF:*, DIAG-*-5-CONF:*

I don't see the SYS-5-CONFIG_I in the message list. In my box either. Is that why RME didn't fetch the config?

How should I get this right?

I've tried to edit the action but it's locked.

And i couldn't make another automated action with Action Type: Invoke Config Collection

Thanks

SYS-5-CONFIG_I should be covered by *-*-*-CONFIG_I:*, 4th in that list. If you have *-*-*-CONFIG_I:* and it still doesn't work, I'd try to set up a new automated action specifically for SYS-5-CONFIG_I to see if there's an issue with Syslog automated action in genenal. This brings up your second issue though, does your LMS user account have the proper admin privilege to modify/create automated action?

hi yjdabear,

this is my list

*-*-*-RESTART:*, RESTART-*-*-*:*, SYS-*-5-ONLINE:*, *-*-*-CONFIG_I:*, SYS-*-5-RELOAD:*, CONFIG-*-*-*:*, *-*-*-CONFIG:*, OIR-*-6-INSCARD:*, Nodemgr-*-5-CE:*REBOOT*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-BOOTED_AS_ACTIVE:*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-SWITCHOVER:*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG :*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-RCSF_SYNCED:*, CPU_REDUN-*-6-STARTUP_CONFIG_CHG:*, CPU_REDUN-*-5-STARTUP_CONFIG_SYNCED:*, SNMP-*-5-COLDSTART:*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*telnet*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*Console*, *-*-*-OIR:*, PIX-*-5-111005:*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*SNMP*, SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*ssh*

it has the *-*-*-CONFIG_I:* but why the action not triggered? or is it take time until the action? how long ussualy your machine wait?

thanks,

Ananda

I believe the automated action takes place immediately. First set up a new Automated Action, let it email you upon *-*-*-CONFIG_I:* only. This will help determine if automated action is triggering.

After that, another setting to doublecheck is RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Transport Settings -> Config Fetch, making sure the viable transports are selected. If this still doesn't help, change the logging level from Info to Debug in RME > Admin > System Preferences > Loglevel Settings. This will help determine whether the config fetch is failing due to bad transport or some other reason, as can be seen in dcmaservice.log.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: