cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence/Personal Communicator - Disable IM for Some Users?

jvweigand
Level 1
Level 1

I know that Instant Messaging can be disabled cluster wide in Presence server, but is there any option to disable IM capabilities for only certain users, while still allowing them to use the other features of Personal Communicator?

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can take the LDAP search out of it. That would not give them access to search for other CUPS users. But then you may lose things like click to call a person in your directory.

What features do you want them to have or use?

Yeah, we need to keep click to call, etc, so removing LDAP isn't an option.

We still want them to be able to use the softphone, control their deskphone, view recent call logs, voicemail access, etc.

I'm fairly sure it can't be done, but management wants a definite answer.

I wonder if there is way to setup a SIP profile and block the IM piece of it. Apply that profile to the users you want.

I dont have CUPS in front of me today, but I would be interested to know.

As always, I would open a TAC case and see if it can be done. The only way I can think is to mess around with the User Settings and try to apply or not apply certain features to see if that could work. But since the IM based on SIP, Im not sure how you can turn off that one feature. The CUPC client uses SIP to communicate back to the server and clients. But if the SIP Proxy can block the IM traffic for that client, but allow the rest, maybe it would work?

cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: