cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Machine 802.1x preauthentication using Windows Zero Config

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to do machine preauthentication using 802.1x PEAP with the XP Pro SP2 Windows Zero Config? I know a preshared key will work and 802.1x PEAP user preauthentication requires another supplicant (like an Intel Proset), but I'm curious as to whether there are any work arounds for machine preauthentication.

Our client is using Server 2003 R2 IAS as the RADIUS server and a couple of WLC 4404's.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vista has an option that you enable to allow the device to wait for a network connection before it tries to bring up th ewindows login screen.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137762.aspx

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying... that the machine will obtain a network connection prior to logging in? If this is what you are trying to do with windows xp, then no. You will need a supplicant to allow for a network connection before processing the login. Vista has the option to do this now.

-Scott

What option is that specifically?

Yes, the network connection would start before login. Thanks Fella, that's what I needed to know. Also, how does this work with Vista?

Vista has an option that you enable to allow the device to wait for a network connection before it tries to bring up th ewindows login screen.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137762.aspx

-Scott

The option is to obtain a wireless network connection prior to processing the login.

-Scott

How? What does it do differently than what machine-authentication for XP does already?

I think the issue is when you have login scripts and the login fails and the device boots up and users don't have their drives mapped. Windows Zero Config service doesn't start until windows boots.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: