cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Netbios resolution of Layer 3 LAN

wwanjohi123
Level 1
Level 1

I have implemented layer 3 LAN separating different locations on different networks. Everything works ok except that i can only view servers and client machines on the particular network where the machines are on the entire network in my domain. DNS works well but i need to resolve the names so that they appear on the entire network across the different networks. I have tries the reverse lookups but they dont work.Kindly assist.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It should be automatic. On each network/subnet a Browser election takes place and one machine will be elected as the master browser along with a backup browser. These should contact the WINS server(s) and populate the browse list via the Domain Master browser. I am not 100% sure but the CLI tool NBTSTAT along with some of the tools from the Windows resource kit might help.

Check on the WINS server for ALL your devices being registered. Might be worth a read here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cnfi_brs_oynw.mspx?mfr=true

As I said I don't recommend this and think it's better using AD to publish shares and printers. I have completely disabled NetBIOS in my network so there is no browse list whatsoever now...

Andy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if you are having issues with your network or your domain servers. Also make sure the LAN devices doesn't have their own firewall that blocks DNS and Netbios. Also do you have DHCP servers? Do you have ip helper for each route enable?

Thanks for yor reply,

Our LAN devices don't have firewalls. We have DHCP and DNS servers as well. We have only added the ip helper address only to the vlan interface that has the default gateway configured.

On the Point to Point interfaces i have configured the following......

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/49

description "L3 Link to distribution Swt"

no switchport

ip address 172.16.28.158 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip hello-interval eigrp 600 1

ip hold-time eigrp 600 3

load-interval 30

carrier-delay msec 0

Regards

If you can browse servers directly by their name (i.e. open an explorer window and type \\server\share in the address bar and the server appears but doesn't appear when you open Network Neighborhood/My Network Places) then this sounds like a NetBIOS & Windows Networking Browser issue. Each IP network/subnet (broadcast domain) there must be a Windows Networking Master Browser, this can be anything from a Windows 95 machine to 2000 or XP/2003 (don't know about Vista, however I expect it will but not by default since the OS is so locked down out of the box). You also need to run WINS on some servers (and make sure the clients know the WINS server addresses) so that each of the master browsers can populate their browse lists.

Personally I would recommend against this and try and use AD to publish shares and printers etc, however if you need it then this should be how to get it working.

HTH

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I can open my servers on the explorer window. What exactly do i need to configure on the windows neworking master browser on each subnet. I have a WINS server running on the same subnet that has the list servers i cant view on my network places. I can view all other servers and machines on other subnets without intervention.

Winnie.

It should be automatic. On each network/subnet a Browser election takes place and one machine will be elected as the master browser along with a backup browser. These should contact the WINS server(s) and populate the browse list via the Domain Master browser. I am not 100% sure but the CLI tool NBTSTAT along with some of the tools from the Windows resource kit might help.

Check on the WINS server for ALL your devices being registered. Might be worth a read here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cnfi_brs_oynw.mspx?mfr=true

As I said I don't recommend this and think it's better using AD to publish shares and printers. I have completely disabled NetBIOS in my network so there is no browse list whatsoever now...

Andy

I will consider publishing the shares through AD. Thanks soo much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: