CCNA simulator keeps tripping me up!

Unanswered Question
Apr 30th, 2008

Hi! I have now failed ICND2 three times, and each time I get a really poor score for Implementation and Operation, 54% this time.

I think I must be doing something wrong on a simulator. Each time it has been a very similar scenario so people may be familiar with it - a console connection into one router, where you have to finish the config so a server can be reached and a remote host attached via a second router also has connectivity.

The protocol is RIP. I seemed get total connectivity simply by doing a 'no shut' on the interface between the 2 routers. All pings worked. So I did copy run start on both routers (telnet to 2nd from 1st) and moved on.

Seems too simple to be true, and this must be where I go wrong : (

Really annoyed now that I have to pay again for an exam that is for the most part easy (I still managed 820). Any advice really appreciated, thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
suelange Wed, 04/30/2008 - 07:48

make sure you can ping from the workstation or server (whichever you have access to) to each of the routers and the other device (server or workstation) on the other. Being able to ping between the two routers won't be enough. Since it mentioned RIP and you indicated all you had to do was a 'no shut' I'm guessing all you did was ping from one router to another but did not actually configure RIP so that a unit on one side of network can ping device on another network...I'm guessing anyway...

mikekeeling Wed, 04/30/2008 - 08:11

Hi, and thanks.

I'm pretty sure I had total end to end connectivity. I was able to ping from the host to the server across two routers. The router I was consoling to had addressing on it's ethernet and serial interfaces already.

I don't want to possibly fall foul of rules about discussing exams, but I think people who took this recently will have seen this, because I believe I had it the past three times!!

Cheers all : )

jim_berlow Wed, 04/30/2008 - 09:55

Did you sign a NDA went you took the exam? You should not be discussing the specific exam questions / scenarios. Cisco can ban you permanently from their certification program or worse. Drop this thread now!

brianjpisa Wed, 04/30/2008 - 10:25

I have to second that notion. You don't want to violate the NDA. One final thought though. If a question says to configure RIP and you don't configure it, you'll probably get it wrong.

This Discussion