cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-site VPN using ADSL

tonymurphy30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, forgive me if this is ridiculously stupid or simple but I come form a pure routing and switching background!

I have been asked to help with the implementation of a site to site vpn using 5505's.

At the head office end I believe the unit will have a public IP address but the remote sites will have ASA's connected to ADSL routers and all traffic at the remote site will be sent back to the HO.

Is the whole solution feasible? Will I end up banging my head against a brick wall?

2 Replies 2

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Site-to-site VPN features provided by the adaptive security appliance enable businesses to extend their networks across low-cost public Internet connections to business partners and remote offices worldwide while maintaining their network security.

Refer the url below for Site-to-site VPN configuration guide fro 5505:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/getting_started/asa5505/quick/guide/sitesite.html

It sounds feasible, but why not just use Cisco 800 series SOHO routers with the IOS feature set, then do either straight IPSec tunnels, GRE/IPSec tunnels or DMVPN configuration.

Either of those will make your life much easier than having an ASA behind routers for sites that will be having a 5505 firewall. Plus, then you can log at a central server in the HQ office from the router itself, you can do that with an ASA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: