cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jumbo Frames and Etherchannel (LACP) on 2960

bill.morton
Level 1
Level 1

Are Jumbo Frames supported on the 2960 switch for Etherchannel links? I can't find anything in the documentation. I have found that the 3750 states that the MTU must be the same for the links to come up. I had jumbo frames working just fine until I setup an etherchannel between my blade switch and 2960 switch, and I was wondering if it is a limitation of the 2960.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

Thanks for the quick response; however, I want to know if there is a specific limitation of Jumbo Frames in an LACP etherchannel. I know that the switch itself supports jumbo MTU as I have had this working until I changed the ports into an LACP link. If the switch is process switching the etherchannel packets (which I dont think it should be) that would limit the frames to the 1500 byte MTU limitation of the CPU which is the only thing I can think of.

Bill:

What do you have your Jumbo MTU size set for?

Im asking becuase the 2960 does not support CPU-bound packet sizes greater than 1998 bytes. CPU-bound traffic refers to control traffic, like SNMP, telnet, and I imagine PAgP protocol traffic.

HTH

Victor

System Jumbo MTU size is 9000 bytes

I would agree that the control traffic is limited, but I would think all the actual data-traffic is hardware switched.

More information: the etherchannel is between a HP GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch, which according to their documentation supports Jumbo in etherchannel, so I am not quite sure where the problem is. The servers report they have Jumbo, so I think there must be something between the two switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: