Views
Helpful
Replies

Router reboot in Rommon mode

hasnain321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I dont know this is right forum for sach kind of question if not then please tell me where to post this question. I am facing problem with 3745 series router after reload it goes into Rommon mode. I have checked the config register value it is ok. I have checked and verified the ios image. Still it doesnt boot properly. Can anyone help in this ?

8 Replies 8

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have a valid boot string in your config to tell your router which IOS to boot?

Example:

boot system flash:c7200-jk9o3s-mz.123-14.T7.bin

Mark

Mark thanks for reply. Yes I do have valid boot srting in the config. But still it doesnt boot properly.

Muhammad

If you do have a valid boot string and if you have checked and the image file is valid - and matches the value in the boot string, then we must look for some other explanation.

Can you capture the console messages when the router boots and post them. Perhaps there will be something there that will help identify the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So does the router boot if you type the

boot flash:(IOS Filename).bin

command in rommon? Does the IOS show up when you type "dir" in rommon?

Mark

Yes mark router reboots when i issue boot command from rommon mode. I did it couple of times and results were same.

I verified everything and did all troubleshooting steps that i could find from many resources. I didnt changed anything. To my surprise this time router didnt went to rommon mode. I dont know how the problem fixed. Thanks mark for your response.

You are welcome, and I am glad everything is working for you.

Mark

This symptom also may happen - if you formatted the flash in windows PC and copied the correct IOS into the flash.

So you might need to format the flash from the router(possibly a similar series model) and load the ios.

In addition such symptoms where noticed in C1841 router where a few reboots could help to bring up the router.

HTH

Jay

nasheer.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As told by Rick, capture the router booting process from console thru Hyper terminal and attach.It will be easy to know where the problem is getting.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card