cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intranet Routing of port 80

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, is there a way to internally direct my domain name to my server?

I can't seem to access the server via DNS and I posted something similar on the WAN part of the forum with no reply.

Basically I keep connecting to my WAN IP address when ever I type in www.myurl.tk.

I get this message: “81.178.2.118” refused the connection.

Can I statically put something into the router to say www.myurl.tk -> 192.168.1.51??

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming that your internal DNS name is myurl.tk, add a DNS A record for host www with address 192.168.1.51.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply but I don't quite understand.

How do I add a dns record in the router, is it under config t > ip dns ?

You don't, you add a DNS record on your DNS server. What your traffic is trying to do is commonly referred to as 'hairpinning', traffic is leaving an interface and then coming right back in. Some devices work OK doing that, others don't. Apparently yours does not (what is the device were talking about?). A simple fix is to tell your internal workstations to use the internal IP instead of your external IP. You do that with DNS. Does that make more sense?

Ah ok now I understand! I'm running a Debian/linux based server of which already I have put the DNS name into the hosts file to get the external interfaces IP address to send directly to the machine.

What I do at some places is pre-pend the name with p- if I need to access the public IP.

ie

p-www.acme.biz 198.133.219.25

www.acme.biz 192.168.1.50

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: