cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help getting started with VPN

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I posted before on the forum with no reply, maybe I wasn't specific enough i don't know.

I am new to VPN's and still learning my way around IOS aswell but I would like to be able to access my server from anywhere in the world.

I know I can already do this via SSH and other 'web' based protocols but actually using drive mounts through samba and nfs protocols I can't do as it isn't a good idea to open the ports for them on WAN.

I have obtained a copy of Cisco VPN Client and would like to set my router up to use the client.

Can anyone assist me?

My config is as follows on Cisco 857W:

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Have you come accross this link,Easy VPN configuration , this link will give you step by step requirements to configure the router as a vpn ra server, go over this. Once you go over it build the config script on a notepad, backup current router config before making changes, after making new changes test with vpn client, if no joy re-attach updated legible config so we can help, the config attached is not right format.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/vpnezvpn.html

[edit] missed an important part on above link , based on this doc it seems the 850 series does not support Easy VPN..

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for the link I will try to implement but if 850 doesn't support Easy VPN how else can I configure?

My running-config was built in accordance with a few Cisco documents on VPN but the documentation didn't tell me how to integrate say group or certificate authentication into the system.

Maybe the config is similar and adaptable from Easy VPN?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: