Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Ws-3550-24-EMI

jacob.botha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear XXXX

I bought a 3550 Switch of e-bay for my home lab, I have powered it up and if I issue a "sh IP int brief" command I only see one vlan interface an none of the fastathernet interfaces comes up.the IOs Image curreently is

c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-13.EA1a. I want to know if the software image is corrupt or if the switch is damage. Can some one maybe give more in formation ?

I would be glad!

Thanks

Jacob

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jacob

If it is EMI you should be able to create multiple vlan interfaces on it ie.

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

All new vlan interfaces will stay down until you allocate a port that is up into that vlan or you set up a trunk to another switch.

You may also need to issue the command "ip routing" on the 3550.

As for the fa interfaces. They will be down until you attach something into them.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the qiuck reply,I know the fa/int will come up , but they don`t even show up in a "show run" command. There is nothing just 1 vlan interface, I can create mor vlan interfaces but thats about it.

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:23: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan

00:00:24: %SCHED-2-WATCH: Attempt to set uninitialized watched boolean (address 0).

-Process= "VLAN Manager", ipl= 0, pid= 28

-Traceback= 1B67AC 2C4C08 35258C 34A2D4 3A6AEC 3AE308 3A9A84 3ACED8 3A99A0 3A4CD0 1C6440

00:00:24: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

00:00:25: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(13)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 25-Mar-03 23:42 by yenanh

00:00:26: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively down

00:00:27: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

Switch>en

Switch#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 402 bytes

!

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Switch

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

!

!

interface Port-channel1

no ip address

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

shutdown

!

ip classless

ip http server

!

!

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login

line vty 5 15

login

!

end

Switch#

Ahh okay i misunderstood.

Have a look at the attached link for troubleshooting hardware if you haven't already seen it

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/1214ea1/3550hig/35trbl.htm

There is a chance you have a duff switch.

Jon

Jon,

It looked like the internal power suplly has failed, cause the sytem light stays amber so I think that could be the problem,Would you know If I change the power supply with a 3500 xl could it effect anything?

Thanks for your help:-)

Jacob.

Jacob

Apologies but i have never done that so wouldn't like to say for sure. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Jon

Jon

Thank for your help, I have done some crazy things with cisco devices and it sometines worked out so I will give it a go!

JAcob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card