Views
Helpful
Replies

About Cisco 7985 series phones.

Nahassamad_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We recently applied port-security in our network. Our security policy is maximum allowed mac-address per port is 2(1 for phone and 1 for pc). After that all ports which are connected to the 7985 phones goes down. We noticed that 7985 phones generating multiple mac-address when we making multiple calls from same line. We are using CCM4.2

Why it is happening?...Any one knows Let me know.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Hi,

This is a know issue with switches running OLD IOS. In those releases IP Phones uses two MAC address and one used by PC.

Thus you need to allow 3 MAC addresses per port 2 for phone and 1 for PC. Don't ask me why phone uses two mac I don't have any answer for that & I can't think of one.

You have two options either to upgrade the IOS or to allow 3 MAC addresses per port.

For a trial allow 3 macs on one of the interfaces with the phone and confirm that everything works after allowing 3 macs.

-> Sushil

Hi sushil,

Thank you for your response. I already tried this. Finally i found the phone showing upto 5 mac addresses.

Hi!

Did you resolve this issue?

Was it a particular phone, or was a general issue?

What did you do to solve it?

Regards,

Ariel

Hi,

Thank you for your reply...It not solved yet. It seen all 7985 phones. I removed the porsecurity from the ports, which are connected to these phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: