CCNP lab simulations and order of tests

Unanswered Question
May 1st, 2008

I know that this is probably a redundant question, but I am starting a study program for my CCNP. I have purchased the CCNP Official Exam Certification Library and I inted to read one book at a time and then use the CD's that come with the book to take the practice exams. After reading one book and going through the practice exam I will take the corresponding test for that book. As a part of an overall study plan I would like to find a book or software that gives me practice labs that I can use to practice configuring the routers and switches. I already have the Packet Tracer software so I can set up mostly anything I need. It seems that the more experience you get with doing actual configs, the better off you are. So my first question is: what is the best book and/or software to buy to get this config experience.

My second quesiton is fairly simple, based on other posts it seems that the best order to take the CCNP tests is: BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT. Does this sound right? I understand that there is no specific order that you need to take them in, I am just trying to make my CCNP experience as easy as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Thu, 05/01/2008 - 08:03

In my studies so far (BSCI and BCMSN), I have found the Cisco Press Lab Companion books to be good for practicing your hands-on stuff. They have a series of labs that cover most topics for each test. They are only books though, so you need your own lab (real or virtual).

Also, I have found that the Self Study guides are helpful books in addition to the Exam Prep guides that you have. They typically go into more detail, which can be helpful for the times when the Exam Prep book explanations aren't as verbose as you would like.

I haven't gone through all of the tests, so I can't really speak to a recommended order. But the order that you listed is followed by a lot of people.

ascoolasice Thu, 05/01/2008 - 20:44

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with each topic. I found BCMSN interesting, so I got that out of the way. Now I'm done with BSCI, and about to sit for the exam. I feel BSCI and BCMSN are the toughtest of the series, so getting done with those will lighten my load. Some topics in ISCW and ONT are brushed through in BSCI and BCMSN, therefore making them my last. I intend on completing ONT with Qos(CCVP) next, since i'm also going through the CCVP route. Hope this helps. Take care

This Discussion