Helpful
Replies

Netflow for 7600 series

akusuma1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I am newbie in this area.

1. We want to use Netflow to monitor MPLS network, is there any specific document for 7600 platform ?

2.Is there any effect on CPU load, interface etc ?

3. Can Netflow monitor specific vlan, vrf or multilink instead of interface ?

Thanks is advance.

8 Replies 8

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Is it a public or private MPLS network?

If its public, you can just get data from the CE routers.

CPU load is minimal. Depends on how often you pull flows.

There are some issues with monitoring VRF's.

Netflow is not real product specific, shoulnt be an issue

It is private network. Thank you for your info.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Load on cpu is minimal.

There are some layer 2 commands for vlan monitoring. will post them once i find.

u may want to refer this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/switch/configuration/guide/xcdnfc.html

Hi,

Please send me if you have the documents especially for VLAN and VRF monitoring.

Thanks.

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmmm.... If I remember correctly, I don't think NetFlow supports MPLS. I admit I've never used NetFlow before, but from what I've read and heard, NetFlow only works with IP traffic, while in MPLS the IP datagram is encapsulated in an MPLS packet, which NetFlow is still having problems with. Unless, of course, Cisco has "fixed" this limitation...

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

... I was too quick on the "Post" button...

As far as load goes, as with any feature, you want to make sure that your CPU utilisation is not too high before you enable NetFlow. From talking to Cisco in the past, I remember they mentioned that NetFlow could potentially burden the CPU a bit especially if there is a very large amount of network traffic that it has to "account" for.

Thank you. For CPU load is average 20-30% so we believe it still capable to run Netflow. We also want to short the pull time and cache entries. Anyone want to confirm if Netflow can capture MPLS traffic ?

I did a quick search on Cisco's Feature Navigator. Turns out there is MPLS-aware NetFlow. On Cisco 7600 with Sup 720/MSFC3, this feature is available on the following feature sets:

- Advanced Enterprise Services SSH

- Advanced IP Services

- Advanced IP Services SSH

- IP Services

- IP Services SSH

In all cases, you need IOS version 12.2(33)SRC.

As far as CPU load goes, you're right. There should be plenty of capacity on your router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card