cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

roaming problems

jfergle
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to have come across a problem with roaming between 1130ag's. I changed them to thin clients so the Wism's control them, but I'm receiving complaints since, that people are getting poor response. What I saw was that when someone moves around(students in a library) they don't seem to be switching to the nearest AP.

Is there somewhere on the WCS and/or Wism I can look at this?

Is fast-SSID-switching something I need turned on? only have one SSID for campus.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well when you converted the ap's from autonomous to lwapp, did you set the power and channel on the ap's or did you let RRM handle that. Also look at the data rates. disabling the lower data rates will create a smaller coverage cell and might help with the issue you are having. Be carfull though... just because you don't roam to a closer ap, doesn't mean your wirless isn't working as it is suppose to. As long as the signal is good, clients will not roam. Fast-SSID switching will not help users raom..... client device decide on the roaming....

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

When I converted I let the RRM handle it. Yeah, I'd hate to remove the lower speeds and the AP's do work fine. I figured letting the Wism's handle the channelling but the power might be something to look at. Can that be done individually? Or do I need to set up a template for the one's I wish to tone down the power?

You can use a template, but what you really have to do is walk the are and adjust the power...... especially by the outer walls which tend to poor signal when ap's are placed in the halls.

When I talk about data rates, I mean disabling the lower speeds 1, 2.2, and 5.5. And set 11 to mandatory. Only if you have devices that do not need to beacon at the lower rates you disabled. This will sort of force users to roam if they drop below 11mb.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card