Views
Helpful
Replies

Beginners question on AAA

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

folks

i'm trying to get my head around some AAA concepts and i'm finding the documentation a bit confusing as it doesn't explain some of the core concepts (well not simply enough for me!)

if i define the line

aaa authentication login ConsoleIn local

i know that loca will refer to the local database but where is the group ConsoleIn referred to in the config

is it in the con0 config where i would declare

aaa authentication ConsoleIn

if so, does this not mean anyone declared in the local dbase is not entitled to console access

thanks to anyone taking the time to reply

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

You have it just about right. If you configure:

aaa authentication login ConsoleIn local

you are creating a named method (where ConsoleIn is the name) and it will authenticate attempts to login using the locally configured userIDs and password.

The name must be used somewhere in the config to indicate what is using this method. The name suggests that it would be configured under line con 0 to specify authentication on the console. But it logically could be configured under line vty 0 4.

And yes it does mean that someone who is not in the local database in not entitled to console access.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rick

many thanks for your reply, its greatly appreciated - i have my snd exam tomorrow so i'm doing some late cramming!

can i ask another question if you don't mind

if i declare 4 names in the local database and i point the ConsoleIn method to this, is there any way to restrict console access to only 2 of the 4 declared usernames?

apologies if this sounds naive but ....

Michael

I am not aware of any way that you can restrict access to the console to only some of the configured local userIDs.

Good luck on the SND exam.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rick

many thanks for your help

i passed the snd (1000/1000!)

thanks for your help

Michael

Congratulations on passing the SND test.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: