cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery on PIX 515E and Configuration

lveraza
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to use this procedure, but I didn't see If this procedure keep my current configuration or delete it ?

Do you know something about it ?

8 Replies 8

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

It will keep the config and just delete the passwords.

There is a way that I can see the IOS version that I have there, in PIX ?.

I didn't find any old configuration.

"sh version" will show you the pix version eg from one of your pix firewalls

LabProtect1# sh ver

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(5) <---- this is the bit you want

Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(1)

Compiled on Thu 04-Aug-05 21:40 by morlee

LabProtect1 up 70 days 11 hours

Hardware: PIX-515E, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 433 MHz

Flash E28F128J3 @ 0x300, 16MB

BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: ethernet0: address is 000e.84e6.c447, irq 10

1: ethernet1: address is 000e.84e6.c448, irq 11

Licensed Features:

Failover: Disabled

VPN-DES: Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES: Disabled

Maximum Physical Interfaces: 3

Maximum Interfaces: 5

Cut-through Proxy: Enabled

Guards: Enabled

URL-filtering: Enabled

Inside Hosts: Unlimited

Throughput: Unlimited

IKE peers: Unlimited

This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.

Jon

I know, but I don't have access to this PIX, for using the recovery password procedure, I need to know the IOS version.

You don't need to be in enable mode to do a show version if that's what you mean. You will need to be connected to the console to do the password recovery as you probably know.

If you reboot/power off your Firewall and connected into the console it will show you what version it boots. From there you will be able to select the correct file for uploading to the PIX.

I have the same concern, with PIX 525... I have lost password of it, and i can't even console on it. and worst of all, i don;'t have the config.

Now, i want to retain (or get the config) and want to reset the password at the same time.

How can i do that?

You all need to understand that when you're doing a password recovery that you're NOT deleting the configuration. You're simply going around the conventional method of loading it so that you may modify its settings. The setting you're concerned with during the recovery is the password. So, you'll change the password and reload the firewall. This will load up the configuration with your password modification.

Again, you're not removing the startup config, just modifying it with regards to the password.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: