Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending wireless Voice and DATA VLANs

joguevil2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed an UC500 wich has 2 wireless VLAN in order to manage data and voice traffic separately.

Now I need to extend the wireless range to cover all the office through a 1131AG AP. As I read in the docs, a repeater AP supports only the native VLAN and cannot configure multiple VLANs on a repeater access point.

Is there any other way to extend both VLANs through an AP? What about 2 APs? I'm a bit lost and need some advise.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The best case would be to connect your 1131AG with an ethernet connection. If you can't get a cable at the point that you want to install your access point then it is impossible to support 2 vlans (ssids) with repeater access point. Using 2 APs as you mentioned would work.

But in general, repeater mode is not recommended because it reduces your available bandwidth to half.

Just try to get a cable to the place that you want to install the AP.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

The best case would be to connect your 1131AG with an ethernet connection. If you can't get a cable at the point that you want to install your access point then it is impossible to support 2 vlans (ssids) with repeater access point. Using 2 APs as you mentioned would work.

But in general, repeater mode is not recommended because it reduces your available bandwidth to half.

Just try to get a cable to the place that you want to install the AP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card