Constructing a Lab for CCNA practice.

Unanswered Question
May 2nd, 2008

Could someone that has taken and passed the CCNA or even a professional tell me what would be the minimum recommended number of routers and switches one should use to practice for the CCNA and what model numbers they would be please. I am not wealthy so not looking to buy 6 routers and multiple switches, but at least construct something that would make me feel comfortable for taking the test.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Fri, 05/02/2008 - 05:16

Hi Andrew,

I saw this posted by Andy a couple of months ago and thought about what a great thing this was :)

From the author of the CiscoPress CCNA Study Guides Wendell Odom (all sorts of invaluable info on building a home lab);

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

Hope this helps! And best of luck with your studies,

Rob

jrensink78 Fri, 05/02/2008 - 06:31

Wendell's blog that the other person referenced is good stuff. That should give you all the info that you need to pick out lab equipment.

Personally, when I did my CCNA a few years back, I didn't even have a lab. I just practiced the simulation questions that came in the practice exams included in my books (Cisco Press and Sybex). That got me by well enough to pass both tests on the first try. And I didn't have any prior Cisco experience.

Also, if you're looking to do things on the cheap, Dynamips is always an option. That'll do all of your routing and probably a good portion of the switching for the CCNA. But there is a learning curve to using it. GNS3 puts a nice GUI front end on it, which makes setting everything up fairly easy.

suelange Fri, 05/02/2008 - 12:51

Dynamips is fine for routers and I use it all the time but you can't practice switch stuff on it.

If you are looking for some solid lab products and can't afford to buy something, check out www.thebyrantadvantage.com. Chris Bryant will sell you his study guides which come packaged with pod time on his equipment or, you can just by the pod time. The pod time along comes with some lab exercises for you to do and they are really good. His prices are better than reasonable.

Good luck with your studies!

webslinger67 Fri, 05/02/2008 - 13:30

thank you all, and I think I have figured out what equipment I will use for my lab. I will post it in a new conversation.

Actions

This Discussion