cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching

bava_ccna
Level 1
Level 1

in interface gigabitethernet1/0/4 what does the 1/0/4 represends...i know that 4 is the interface and 0 is slot but what is that 1 represends...Plz help

Regards

Ahmed Bava

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Ahmed,

This numbering scheme is primarly used for switches that can be stacked together. You can stack to physical switches together to make logical switches. Example:-

If you have 1 x 48 port switch, you see ports 1 to 48 as:-

1/0/1 - 1/0/48

If you add another 48 port switch - as it's the second of the stack you would see ports 1 to 96 as:-

Switch 1 - stack member 1

1/0/1 - 1/0/48

Switch 2 - stack member 2

2/0/1 - 2/0/48

You still have 2 physical switches, and 96 switch ports, but logicall in the config you see 1 switch and 2 x 48 ports. If you added a third switch:-

Switch 3 - stack member 3

3/0/1 - 3/0/48

all the way up to 9 switches in a stack.

HTH.

bava_ccna
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks....but i have one more doubt...we have Cisco catalyst 3750 switch without any stack...but still when i use sh run it is showing fa1/0/1 to fa1/0/24.whay it is showing like this? is there any specfic reason for this

Thanks

Ahmed Bava

Hi

I think by default u r switch will be the member switch with member number 1.So due to this it might have this interface indentification scheme.

Thanks

Mahmood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: