Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Statistics Standards

anguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will be monitoring a few switches through SNMP. I will be monitoring the bandwidth utilization, packets dropped, collisions, etc. Is there some kind of industry standard for these statistics? I've seen less than 70% utilization on a WAN is considered normal, but is this a standard?

Thanks,

Alicia

4 Replies 4

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Alicia, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

In addition, you can monitor for CRC also.

Network Monitoring standards depends upon the critical of the Network and Company's Business. There are Network whose Uptime are critical upto 100% required but there are also Network required to be critcal between 9am to 6pm only ie., Office Hrs.

Consider your Company's Business Criteria, Understand the Critical of the Business, Understand the Usage Pattern of the Resources, Understand the Availability required for the Company, etc., then evaluate the Down-Time.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Alicia,

I am not sure what kind of industry standard you are talking about as far as WAN utilization is concerned.

However 70% to 75% WAN utilization is something which you should be concerned about.

-> Sushil

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the previous two responses are both valid. When it comes to bandwidth, if you reach the threshold for your business, this should trigger an investigation about the bandwidth usage - i.e. is it due to more users? worm or virus traffic? Unwanted traffic such as inappropriate web browsing? Undesirable traffic - such as backups running during business hours, that can be scheduled for after hours? etc. And, I think you realize by now, there is no specific standard that we follow just guidelines that vary from busines to business.

Steve

So these are switches which are been monitoried ?

I been using snmp tools to monitor the bandwith for routers and switches.

I have come across clients who connects the fa0/0 to the isp router, they have BW of around 2 MEG.

When you poll these kind of interfaces to the SNMP agent you need to tune the BW or in This case the total BW would be 100 Mbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco