Helpful
Replies

Ip accounting

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

we have users at our office.

we want to enable the IP accounting .

should it be enabled at Serial int of router or switch interface?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Mahesh, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

The IP accounting command records the number of bytes (IP header and data) and packets switched through the system on a source and destination IP address basis. "Only transit IP traffic is measured and only on an outbound basis"; traffic generated by the router access server or terminating in this device is not included in the accounting statistics. Traffic coming from a remote site and transiting through a router is also recorded.

The above explanation will enable to you to decide further.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi thanks for reply

can you exlain me this

traffic generated by the router access server or terminating in this device is not included in the accounting statistics.

Mahesh

It means traffic that has the destination IP address of one of the router interfaces or traffic that has the source address of one of the router interfaces will not be included in the statistics.

Put simply if the packet was sent from a device other than the router and is destined for a device other than the router then the router will include it in the accounting statistics.

Jon

Thanks fo rreply

Can u tell me which interface we should enable it

Router serial interface or Lan interface and what is difference

between them?

Thanks

ip accounting only applies on outgoing packets. If you see your LAN traffic flow (from the router's perspective) packets coming "into" the router are via the LAN interface and packets exiting the router "outgoing packets" are via the serial interface. Therefore, the ip accounting should be applied to the serial interface.

In the same token, I highly recommend using NetFlow instead of ip accounting.

Please take a moment to read more about NetFlow: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6601/products_ios_protocol_group_home.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

hi

thanks for reply.

i have site where our core router is conencted to 6500 MSFC.and we have unabled ip accounting on route rinterface which connect to MSFC.Not on MPLS link on router

is it ok

thanks

hi

thanks for reply.

i have site where our core router is conencted to 6500 MSFC.and we have unabled ip accounting on route rinterface which connect to MSFC.Not on MPLS link on router

is it ok ??

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card