Views
Helpful
Replies

Rapid Spanning Tree

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 8 3560 POE switches all connected together runnning Rapid Spanning Tree. When the connecting ports were "access" ports, I saw what I would expect, which was one of the interfaces showed orange because it was being blocked. When I switched the connecting ports to "trunk" ports, the same interface is still being blocked, but the indicator light now shows green on the blocked port??

Any reason why this would be?

Thanks in advance...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When it was a access port it could show it was blocked because it was only a single vlan , if its a trunk now then you are running multiple vlans down that link , while it may be blocked for 1 vlan it might not be blocked for another vlan show so it just shows the link status now .This is per vlan spanning tree .You would have to look via cli using show spanning-tree blocked ports command .

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When it was a access port it could show it was blocked because it was only a single vlan , if its a trunk now then you are running multiple vlans down that link , while it may be blocked for 1 vlan it might not be blocked for another vlan show so it just shows the link status now .This is per vlan spanning tree .You would have to look via cli using show spanning-tree blocked ports command .

Yes, that's it !! I appreciate your response.

We did trunk it for the ability to use rspan from the existing vlan to another.

Thanks for the answer...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card