cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to capture logging mssgs on a 2821 router?

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

How do I direct logging data from the 2821 router to be stored on a workstation? I have downloaded Kiwi Syslog Daemon on to the workstation, however, logging is not captured. The command for the syslog server was configured on the router. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Said

As a bare minimum you need to configure on the router

logging host

logging trap

where level is a value between 1 & 7. 7 is debugging and will send the most messages to your syslog server and 1 is alerts.

To test you could set it up as informational (6) and save the config on your router. This should generate a syslog message to your syslog server.

Jon

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Said

As a bare minimum you need to configure on the router

logging host

logging trap

where level is a value between 1 & 7. 7 is debugging and will send the most messages to your syslog server and 1 is alerts.

To test you could set it up as informational (6) and save the config on your router. This should generate a syslog message to your syslog server.

Jon

Jon,

Does logging Informational (6) include all logging messages from severity 1-6?

Thanks.

Said

Said

Yes it does. Each level includes level 1 to that level.

Once you have got it working generally level 4 (warnings) or level 3 (errors) is a good one to use.

Jon

Jon,

On the Kiwi Syslog Setup> Listen for UDP Syslog messages>Data Encoding, there is drop down menu: System, Other, ANSI, UTF-8, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, BIG5 and Chinese. System is default-is this ok?

Still have not received any logging messages on the Kiwi Syslog daemon.

Said

Haven't used kiwi for long time but i don't remember having to do anything special with the encoding.

You can ping your syslog server from the router ?

If you have a packet sniffer eg. ethereall you can run this on the same machine as kiwi syslog and see if the machines is receiving packets from the router.

Jon

I must have deactivated the echo feature on the router. Ping (Syslog server's IP results in "% Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running." The config of the production router was copied to a 2621 lab router with modifications. Do you know how enable echo on the lab router?

Said

What are you actually typing in when you try to ping. Can you post the full command line you are using.

Jon

how do you set the set the con 0 password to the enable secret password?

sorry to deviate.

Presuming you know the enable secret password

router(config)# line con 0

router(config-line)# password 0

Jon

Jon,

The following command still reverts to the type 7 password.

router(config)# line con 0

router(config-line)# password 0

Jon,

I set up the lab router today, forgot to copy the run config to start, turned off the router. I give the fa0/0 int on the lab router an address on same subnet on our LAN. A straight through cable connects the lab router to the LAN. I can ping the lab router from a workstation, yet I can not ping the workstation from the router. So on a lab router replicating the production router requires its own separate network, yes?

As long as your lab router is using a unique IP address out of the LAN range you should be fine.

Perhaps you could post the addressing etc. Can you also check if you have an access-list applied to the fa0/0 interface.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for your help. I have to read up on Kiwi Syslog Daemon to know how to use it.

Regards.

Said

Said

No problem. If i get the time i will have a look as well to make sure there isn't something obvious we are missing.

Appreciate the rating.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: