cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP over dsl based VPN

Consuelo.Annon
Level 1
Level 1

I have an office on our network that is moving to a dsl connection. There are three users in this office. They will VPN into the network. How do I set up a VPN to provide them with VoIP? It is a court so they should keep the same numbers.

I currently have a 3550 switch at the far end. Do I need a router? Comes back into an ASA.

We have a very small pipe to the internet.

Long term solution is for a DSL hub.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Best is to use a config example from CCO, there are many.

There is no real need to separate voice and data vlan in small sites, it works just fine even if you don't do that.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, yes you need a router in the branch. As small as an 857 or 877 can do. The difference is that the 857 doesn't support QoS, VLAN and other features, beside that will work fine.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Which 877 do you recommend?

Hola,

When you have ADSL, 877 is the best choice.

Usually is a good idea to get 877w so you also have wireless using a single device.

If you never configured a router <-> ASA VPN before, reserve some time to learn and and try the configurations.

I was just going to ask you for recommendations for config.

All our current vpn users are client based. This would completely different.

All natted through firewall.

I fI set up 5 of these sites can I use the same voip and data vlans on all of them?

Thanks

Best is to use a config example from CCO, there are many.

There is no real need to separate voice and data vlan in small sites, it works just fine even if you don't do that.

Thank you

FYI

I ran into an issue requesting a static ip for the VPN from Qwest. They assigned it to the mac-address of their netopia router and wouldn't tell me that nor will they assign a static to a Customer device.So I could not get the DSL to come up. Took off the Static and hope it stays up.

Made me appreciate the customer service I et Cisco!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: