Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Capture between WAE's

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I may be looking into this to much and I know the WAE's are doing things to speed the transfers but during FTP transfers between my sites I'm seeing alot of "TCP Retransmission" and "TCP DUP ACK". I don't see this on the LAN side after optimization so this might be normal...is it?

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Mike,

Are you taking the packet captures from the WAEs? If so, what you're seeing is likely the packet capture analysis getting confused due to the L3/L4 transparency (it's treating the original/optimized connections as a single connection).

Zach

Zach,

My WAE's sit inline with our firewalls on the outside. So on the inline group.. Wan0 connects to a switch facing a router and the Lan0 has a cross-over cable between Lan0 and the outside interface of a PIX. I'm doing the 1st packet capture by spanning the Wan0 switch port...this is where I see the DUP ACK's and Retranmissions. I'm also doing a packet capture behind the firewall by spanning the PIX inside interface.

Mike,

If you're only looking at one side or the other, then you are likely seeing true retransmissions. Is there any indication of packet loss (interface errors, etc.)?

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: